Friday, March 2, 2012

Stuck?

So, I have to say...February was a tough month for me, writing-wise. Not to make excuses, but I started a new job a few weeks ago. This brought with it a completely different schedule than my old one had, and I'm just now becoming adjusted to it. Needless to say, working on the novel wasn't one of my major priorities during the changeover. School also started picking up for me. The beginning of this semester (the whole month of January, really) was surprisingly laid-back. When February hit, I got slammed with group projects. Three of those projects are still going on and will be for the next month. However, I'm determined to build writing time back into my schedule.

Admittedly, part of my problem is that I'm still not entirely sure where to go with the story. I have a tendency to write either really dark or really happy things; for whatever reason, there's very little in-between with me. The original novella is very dark, and I'm having trouble figuring out how to build upon it. There's a fine line between dark and melodramatic, and I'm so afraid of crossing it. I don't want to overcompensate and make it too light either.

In February, I did have the opportunity to have two friends read the novella and give me their comments on it. Both helped a tremendous amount (a big thanks to Ashley and Andrew, if you happen to be reading this!), and were great to bounce ideas off. If anyone else wants to take a look at it, I'd be happy to send it to you. Just email me at apparitions.tango@gmail.com. I don't know, sometimes having a fresh set of eyes helps lol.

I think I need to set aside a certain amount of time just for writing/brainstorming each week. I know I don't have the time to work on it every single day, but a few hours a week is probably manageable. Hopefully I'll work this out in time for my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment